The VSO School of Music has undertaken an exhaustive approach to identifying and implementing strategies that will keep students, faculty, staff, and guests safe from the spread of COVID-19. Elimination and control measures have been put in place that will limit the potential exposure to COVID-19.
If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be permitted to enter the facility. This same restriction applies to all VSO Musicians, VSO Staff, SoM Staff, Students, and Parents. If you have concerns, we encourage you to use the BC health self-assessment tool. For school policies, including missed lessons, please click here
OCCUPANCY AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING
- Directional signs have been placed strategically around the building to facilitate safe physical distancing.
- Seating areas have been reduced in order to maximize the amount of space for social distancing regulation
- Shared washrooms have an occupancy limit of 2 individuals at any one time
- The elevator has an occupancy limit of 2 individuals at any one time with clear markings on the floor to ensure physical distancing
- All studios and classrooms spaces have been assessed and given a maximum capacity to ensure proper physical distancing. All group classes and ensemble numbers have been limited in response to this.
- Classrooms and studios have been reorganised to remove extraneous items and maximise available space
- Parents are encouraged to drop off/pick up outside the front door of the School or in the lobby area. When needed, only one parent may accompany the child to their lesson/class. Please check with your instructor for individual studio policies regarding parent presence in the lesson
- In order to control occupancy the School is not allowing drop-ins for practice or make-up lessons
- The School asks both instructors and students to not arrive more than 15 minutes before their assigned time
- Everyone age 12yrs and older is required to wear masks while in the facility, unless alone in a room
- Masks are highly recommended for everyone age 3-11yrs
- This includes students, parents, faculty and staff
- Common Area high touch surfaces throughout the building will be sanitized frequently throughout the day
- High touch surfaces (music stands, chairs, equipment) in instruction spaces and practice spaces are sanitized in between classes, lessons and rentals as well as at the end of each day
- Classroom supplies, shared music equipment, instruments and resources are not shared.
- Hand sanitizer stations on each floor are signposted clearly and hand sanitizer is topped up regularly. Hand sanitizer is available in all studios and classrooms
- All staff, faculty, students, and guests are asked to wash their hands upon entering and exiting the building and before and after room use
- Air handling systems has been modified to increase the outside air intake and allow greater air exchange throughout the facility